A/Prof. Joseph Palamara
Telephone: +61 3 9341 1532
- PhD, Dip Ed, Monash University.
- Senior Lecturer
- Before coming to the Melbourne Dental School I worked at Monash University in the physics department as a research fellow and lecturer and as a lecturer at RMIT. In-between teaching I spent a short period at ICI (Australia) working on advanced ceramics.
- Investigation of the physical properties of hard tissues (enamel, dentine, bone) and the significance for clinical applications under loading.
- Investigation of the material properties of tooth colored restorative dental materials and the effect due to the incorporation of CPP-ACP.
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) of tooth models and the determine strain patterns due to occlusal loading as validated by strain gauge and photoelastic techniques.
- Ultra-structural study of mineralization, demineralization and re-mineralization of enamel, dentine and other hard tissues.
- The study of the ultrastructure of defective teeth: (Amelogenesis Imperfecta, Osteogenesis Imperfecta and Dentinogenesis Imperfecta).
- Ultra-structural study of changes in hard tissues (eg. human bones and teeth) after being subjected to heat treatments.
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Masters by research.
- Formulation for a standard in the duplication of skeletal remains. Ronn Taylor.
- Mechanism of stress corrosion on enamel and dentine. Pallavi Mishra.
- An investigation of the thermal stimulation in intact teeth. Pairoj Linsuwanont.
- Dentine hydraulics and pressure effects in dentine. Diatri Nari Ratih
- Development of glass ionomer cements incorporating casein phosphopeptitide-amorphrous clcium phosphate complex (CPP-ACP). Hanan Al Zraikat
- Incorporation Of CPP-ACP into temporary dental luting cement. Rebecca Wong.
- An invitro investigation into masticatory bone strain using a canine model. Roy Judge.
Also see A/Prof. Palamara's Find an Expert page at The University of Melbourne.
- R. Judge, J.E.A. Palamara, R.Taylor, H.Davies, J.G. Clement. (2003) Photoelestic technique to analyse the redistribution of masticatory load. J Prosthetic Dentistry. 90(1):92-96.
- V.Lertchirakarn, J.E.A.Palamara, H.H.Messer. (2003) Patterns of vertical root fracture: Factors affecting stress distribution in the root canal. J of Endo 29(8):523-8.
- O’Hoy PY, H.H. Messer, J.EA Palamara. (2003) The effect of cleaning procedures on the fracture properties and corrosion of NiTi files. J of Endo 29(8):523-8.
- V.Lertchirakarn, J.E.A.Palamara, H.H.Messer. (2003) Finite element analysis and strain gauge studies of vertical root fracture. J of Endo 29(8):529-34.
- P.Suwatviroj, L.B. Messer. J.E.A.Palamara. (2003) The effect of cavity preparation and lamination on bond strength and fracture of tooth-colored restoration in primary molars. Pediatr Dent. Nov-Dec; 25(6):534-40.
- P.P.S.Lam, J.EA Palamara, H.H. Messer. (2003) Fracture strength of roots following canal preparation by hand and rotary instrumentation. Int Endod J. Nov;36(11):724-32.
- P.Suwatviroj, L.B. Messer. J.E.A.Palamara. (2004) Microtensile bond strength of tooth colored material to dentin of primary teeth. . Pediatr Dent. Jan-Feb;26(1):67-74.
- K.R.Spencer, J.W.Ferguson, A.A.C.Smith, J.E.A.Palamara. (2004) Screw and head design: an experimental study to access the influence of design on performance. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004 Apr; 62(4):473-8.