Bachelor of Science (Honours) at the Melbourne Dental School
The Bachelor of Science (Honours) provides an advanced, specialised year of study following a student’s completion of the requirements of the Bachelor of Science. It extends the student’s knowledge and skills through a supervised research project together with advanced coursework in related areas of study.
At the Melbourne Dental School, you will have the opportunity to develop research skills in a wide range of technologies and experimental systems, including:
- next-generation sequencing and transcriptomics;
- molecular biology, including gene-silencing and gene-editing;
- bacterial and mammalian cell culture;
- flow cytometry, including cell-sorting;
- immunofluorescence confocal microscopy and electron microscopy;
- proteomics, including mass spectrometry;
- bioinformatics and molecular modelling;
- recombinant protein expression and purification, and mouse models of disease.
Research Project Guide
The Research Project Handbook details the projects that are available for prospective Honours Students for 2023.
Prospective PhD students will find the Handbook useful as it gives an indication of the diversity of basic science and clinical research at the Melbourne Dental School. The research projects are also listed on the MDHS Research Project Database.
How to Apply
- Download the Research Project Handbook to see the range of projects available
- Contact the relevant project supervisor to discuss your interest in their research. It is a good idea to email them a copy of your CV and your academic transcripts to help them understand your background, interests and academic strengths
- Make a time to meet with potential supervisors to discuss your project interests and discuss your academic record
- Visit the laboratory and meet other students and researchers
- In some cases, supervisors may be willing to offer you a provisional place in their laboratory (a provisional offer indicates that you have a guaranteed place in the Honours course, providing you satisfy all other entry requirements)
- Apply online through the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences website: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Degree with Honours) : How to apply - The University of Melbourne (unimelb.edu.au)
Students who enrol in the Melbourne Dental School Honours course and have a WAM ≥ 80.0 (or GPA equivalent) will automatically be considered for the Noel Arthur Twiss Scholarship ($5,000). You will automatically also be considered for scholarships provided by the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences. Scholarships are awarded on academic merit.
If you have not already done so, you should familiarise yourself with the structure, entry requirements, fees, and application process for Bachelor of Science (Honours).
Dr Catherine Butler
Phone: + 61 3 9341 1565
Academic Programs Team