Are you interested in understanding more about what life is going to be like once you graduate? Would you like to get more advice and guidance about how to begin your dental career?
Applications for the 2019 program will open soon. If you are interested in joining the program in the future, please email your expression of interest to email@example.com
The 2018 Melbourne Dental School Mentoring Program will involve a group of former students of the Melbourne Dental School who are paired in a mentoring relationship with current students in the final year of a Doctor of Dental Surgery or Bachelor of Oral Health.
Through face-to-face meetings and workshops, students participating in the program will gain exposure to work and learning experiences in practice, increase professional networks and identify and develop a career strategy post-study.
- What might I expect to gain from joining the mentoring program?
Each mentoring match will be different. How your mentoring relationship evolves depends on you and your mentor documenting clear goals and strategies for achieving them. However, you can expect to be involved in some of the following:
- Exposure to expertise and experience
- Goal setting and decision making
- Career planning and professional development
- Discussion about the challenges of being a professional clinical practitioner
- Working through problems from a new perspective
- Introduction to the Australian professional dental environment
- Starting to establish a professional network within the dental community
- Assistance with practical advice that will help you find a job
- When does the program run?
The timeline for the program is as follows:
- January – Recruitment of mentors and mentees
- February - Initial on-campus (Parkville) training workshops for both mentors and mentees
- February - November: Monthly face-to-face meetings between mentors and mentees
- August: Mid program check-in teleconference for mentors and mentees
- November: On-campus end of year review and celebrations
- What are the responsibilities of a mentee?
To get the most out of this program mentees need to be open minded and willing to be proactive and accountable for their own professional development. As a mentee you will be responsible for:
- Leading the mentor relationship. You are expected to initiate the first contact and organise all face-to-face meetings and communication with your mentor
- Being reliable - Honouring your appointments and commitments with your mentor
- Communicating openly and freely
- Defining and expressing what you wish to gain from the mentoring relationship
- Providing feedback to your mentor
- Sharing your thoughts and ideas about the profession, entering practice and your future aspirations
- Actively seeking your mentor’s opinions
- Commit to at least monthly face-to-face meetings with your mentor between February and November 2019. The exact nature and frequency of these meetings can be determined between the mentee and mentor and may include a Skype call, clinical observation and learning, informal meetings over coffee, attending a public lecture together, and much more. Meetings take place at a location and time most convenient for you and your mentor.
- Attending one on-campus workshop session at the beginning of the program, participating in the mid-program check-in and attending the on-campus end-of-program review and celebration
- Complete three feedback surveys (beginning, middle, end)
- Demonstrate professional and ethical conduct at all times
- How do you decide which students are selected for this program?
Participation numbers may be limited to the number of mentors that are available. Applications will be assessed on a variety of criteria including student need, response to the application questions and suitability to the available mentors. Not all applications will be successful, and this will be at the discretion of the Melbourne Dental School
- How will I be matched with a mentor?
We will match you with a mentor based upon commonality in your applications. Best efforts will be made to fulfil your preferences but not all preferences can be guaranteed.
- Can I choose my mentor?
No, we will match you with a mentor taking into consideration the preferences and interests you have provided on your application form. Best efforts will be made to fulfil your preferences but not all preferences can be guaranteed.
- Where will I meet my mentor?
Mentor/mentee meetings need to be scheduled at a location and time suitable for both parties. However, it is preferable that mentees work around the mentor’s schedule. Please note, there is no requirement for mentors to meet you on campus.
- I am not a fourth year DDS or third year BOH student. Will this program be available to me in later years of my degree?
Yes, it is anticipated that this program will continue in 2020 and beyond. Please check here for further updates, and keep an eye out for a call for applications at the end of 2019.
- Contact us