24 September 2020
What is Happening?
The government announced recently that dentists in metropolitan Melbourne will move to ADA Level 2 dental restrictions from 28 September, and to Level 1 dental restrictions from 26 October.
What does this mean for you?
This new roadmap means that our dentists at MDC will be able to resume non-urgent procedures including routine examinations, restorative treatment and orthodontic care according to the Level 2 dental restriction guidelines.
'Level 2' means?
We will now be able to perform most dental procedures that can be done without the use of equipment that use air and water together. This means we can perform the following treatments:
- Simple non-invasive fillings
- Non-surgical extractions
- Simple gum disease treatment
- Broken tooth
- Gum pain, swelling
So, if you do have a broken tooth or a cavity you can now get treatment!
'Level 1' means?
This means we are back to ‘business as usual’ but with the exception that we will not treat anyone who is COVID-19 positive or is exhibiting any clinical symptoms of COVID-19 or who have been in close contact with anyone with COVID-19.
When you contact our Clinic, our staff will ask you a number of screening questions:
- Have you returned from overseas in the past 14 days?
- Have you been in close or casual contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19?
- Do you have any flu like illness – sore throat, temperature, cough, shortness of breath?
If you answered Yes to the above questions you should ring the COVID-19 24-hour hotline on 1800 675 398 or a GP or emergency department to arrange for testing and appropriate care.
If you answered Yes to the above questions, you will NOT be treated at the Melbourne Dental Clinic.
If you answered No to the above questions, please contact our Clinic for an appointment.
Our staff are our priority as well as our patients. We ensure they are informed and provided with adequate protective advice. They are provided with personal protective equipment and do not attend the workplace if feeling unwell. They are required to self-isolate if they have declared they have travelled overseas greater than 14 days.
On entry to our clinic:
- You will be greeted on the ground floor at 723 Swanston Street Carlton by an MDC staff member who will triage you through the process of hand sanitizer, written screening questions, temperature check and regulating patient and staff movements through lifts and stairs to ensure appropriate social distancing
- Staggered appointment start times have been introduced to increase social distancing amongst staff, students and patients
- Our staff will wear long sleeved gowns, safety glasses, gloves and surgical masks for all procedures
- You will be asked to undertake a 20-30 second pre-operative mouth rinse, where necessary
- When entering the surgery you will be asked to wash your hands prior to sitting in the dental chair
If you need further information about 'Level 3' dental procedures, or wish to book an appointment please call 03 9035 8402.
Bookings can also be made online at https://dental.unimelb.edu.au/dental-clinic
Thank you for your continued support in these challenging times.
Stay safe and take good care.
Your Team at the Melbourne Dental Clinic