Prof. David Manton
Elsdon Storey Chair of Child Dental Health
Telephone: +61 3 9341 1493
- BDSc Univeristy of Melbourne
- MDSc University of Melbourne
- PhD University of Melbourne
- General practice in WA and Victoria 1984 – 1991, MDSc in Paediatric dentistry 1991-1993, located full time in Albury NSW 1994 – 2002.
- Adviser to Commonwealth Department of Human Services 1994 – 1996. Lecturer at Uni of Melbourne 2002 – 2006 with part time paediatric dental practice in Albury NSW.
- Convener, undergraduate and post graduate Paediatric Dentistry program
- Head, Growth and Development Section
- Enamel remineralization
- Dental fluorosis
- Prevention of dental caries
- Quantitative Light Induced Fluorescence (QLF)
- Enamel hypomineralisation
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- The therapeutic value of CPP-ACP and Potassium Nitrate in the management of dentine hypersensitivity following periodontal treatment.
- An investigation into the remineralization of 'white spot' lesions and hypomineralised lesions of dental enamel with casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium fluoride phosphate (CPP-ACFP) and sodium fluoride following orthodontic band removal.
- Physical and chemical characteristics of hypomineralised enamel In situ remineralisation by sugar-free gums.
- The effect of CPP-ACP on the erosivity of wine, sport and soft drinks using nanoindentation, white light profilometry and confocal laser scanning microscopy.
- The effect of oxidative pre-treatment on the remineralization of enamel.
- A retrospective study into repeat paediatric general anaesthetics for dental treatment at the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne.
- Molar Incisor Hypomineralisation: prevalence, severity and aetiology among 7-9 year old primary school children in a low fluoridated area in Iraq (Mosul City).
See Prof. Manton's Find an Expert page at The University of Melbourne.
- Australasian Academy of Paediatric Dentistry.: Member 1994 -- present
- Australian Dental Association: Member Victorian Branch 1983 – 1990, 2002--present;
New South Wales Branch 1994 – present.
Continuing Professional Development Committee (Vic Branch) 2006 – present
Oral Health Committee (Federal Branch) 2006 - present
Seal of Approval Panel (Federal Branch) 2006- present
Evident Committee member (Vic Branch) 2010 - present
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Paediatric Dentistry: Member 1989 -- present.
Secretary / Treasurer (Vic Branch) 1992, Committee 2001, 2005, Vice-President 2006 – 07
President 2007 – 2009, Immediate past-president 2009-
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Sport Dentistry and Trauma
Inaugural member and consultant, 2009- present
- International Association of Dental Research : Member 1992 – present
Victorian Council Member 2005 - present
- Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgery : Fellow 2007 – present
MRACDS Examination Comm – 2009- present
MRACDS Examiner 2010 - present
- Association for the Study of Community Dentistry : Member 1989 -- 1994
- Victorian Dental Education Advancement Society : Member 1992 -- 1998
- International Association of Paediatric Dentistry : Member 1991 -- present
- European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry: Ass. member 2007-present
- Medical Advisory Board, Albury Day Surgery, 1998 – 2009
Albury Wodonga Border Dental Study Group : Member 1994 -- 2008
President 1998 -- 2004