Laureate Professor Eric Reynolds AO
Telephone: +61 3 9341 1547
- Bachelor of Science (University of Melbourne 18-Aug-1973)
- Doctor of Philosophy (University of Melbourne 29-Jul-1978)
- Head, Oral Biology Research Group
- - 2014 Head, Melbourne Dental School
- CEO, Oral Health CRC
- Associate Dean, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Professor EC Reynolds has over 20 years experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, immunology, microbiology, cariology and periodontology. He has published over 172 peer-reviewed publications and 19 patents and has supervised over 50 BSc(Hons), BDentStud, MDSc and PhD students. Seven patents have been licensed to Recaldent Pty Ltd and GC (Japan) and another six have been licensed to CSL Ltd. Professor Reynolds has been closely involved in technology transfer associated with all licence agreements.
In 1999 Professor Reynolds was invited to join the Editorial Board of the Journal of Dental Research; the pre-eminent dental journal of the International Association for Dental Research (IADR) and the American Association for Dental Research (AADR).
- William J. Gies Award presented by the IADR and the AADR for the best paper published in the Journal of Dental Research in 1992
- Supervisor of Hatton award recipient, IADR meeting (1995, 1997,1998, 2000,2006, 2007)
- Alan Docking Science Award presented by the IADR ANZ Division for outstanding scientific achievement in the field of dental research 1997
- Dairy Industry Association of Australia – The Loftus Hill Memorial Medal Award of Merit for outstanding scientific achievement 2001
- Clunies Ross National Science and Technology Award to recognize outstanding achievement in the successful application of science and technology 2002
- The Victoria Prize for technological innovation which has significantly advanced the State of Victoria’s knowledge base (2005)
- Anne and Eric Smorgon Memorial Award for outstanding contribution to science, technology and/or engineering (2005)
- Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) for service to community dental health through research and development of preventive and restorative products, to dental education through curriculum development, and as an administrator and teacher (2005)
- Elected Honorary Fellow of the International College of Dentists (2008)
- Elected Fellow of the Aust Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (2008)
- 181 invited keynote speaker presentations between 1998 – 2009 at major meetings worldwide
- Past and Current Representation on Major Scientific Bodies
- NH&MRC Discipline Panels, (i) Surgery, Dentistry and Radiology, (ii) Microbiology, (iii) Development Grant
- Member, Editorial Board, Australian Dental Journal
- Member, Research Advisory Committee, Australian Dental Research Foundation Inc
- IADR Dental Research Hatton Award Committee
- IADR GSK Innovation in Oral Care Expert Review Panel
- Editorial Board, Journal of Dental Research
- Past President, IADR, Australian and New Zealand Division.
- Molecular processes characterizing the pathology and repair of dental caries and the pathology, prevention and treatment of periodontal diseases.
- International Association for Dental Research
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Australian Dental Association
To see Prof. Reynolds' publications go to his Find an Expert page at The University of Melbourne.